Monday, September 5, 2016

What to do With Kit Club Leftovers? or How Did She Squeeze 9 Pages Out of a Kit?

When you get toward the end of a kit, you are left with weird little scraps of paper that of course you just can't bear to throw away.  OK, maybe some of you can toss 'em, but I tend to feel like I have to squeeze every last little ounce of goodness out of a kit, like a lemon.  I do want my money's worth!

So here's a page using my leftover pieces and parts from the Gossamer Blue kit.

I did end up totally screwing up a perfectly lovely gray wood-grain print paper by thinking I would add a layer of gesso as a base for a photo stack.  Uck.  Major, major ugly resulted from that experiment.  But did I throw it away, um, nope.  I cut off pieces to use elsewhere.  Like here tucked under the photo as an additional layer. 

The flowers were what was left from fussy cutting one corner from a sheet of paper.  The remainder of that sheet was a pale gray polka dot and it got used as a layering piece for another page and the opposite side was used on yet another page under another photo.  I had a bit of the black polka dot (the reverse side is the pink polka dot--tucked a strip of that under the bottom edge of the photo) and punched a scalloped circle, sliced it in half and tucked amongst the flowers. 

Still felt the photo needed a something more layered under it, so I reached for vellum!  I've been using more vellum under my photos lately to add in the feel of more layers and to soften colors or prints.  Also tucked in a stray half of a doily that was lollygagging about on my desk. 

The photo and floral sections were actually assembled off of the page, so that once I could see what I had, I could decide where to place it on the page and what to do with the plain white cardstock base.

Decided to use some watercolors on the white cardstock to pick up the greens and pinks from the flowers and the grid print that is under the photo.

Once the watercolor was dry, I could move the assembled photo block and florals into place and could move onto title construction and placement.  Since I was focusing on the greens and pinks, I used two different sets of Thickers to include both colors.  Added some messy penned borders around the edges of the page; used the last of the included pink enamel dots and finally added one of the last of my old chipboard hearts from Making Memories ( I think I have two left :<). 

And that, is one way to use up every little thing from a kit. 

P.S.  I still have the light blue puffy alpha stickers and some peachy pink enamel dots...  just sayin'


No comments:

Post a Comment