Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Choosing a Kit Club --- Making a Feminine Kit Work for Boy Pages!

My new Scrapbook Circle kit arrived right before we left for Wisconsin and I am just now getting the time to work with it.  I sooooooo wanted this kit.  Looooooooved the papers.  Could. Not. Wait. to get it. 

But now that I've had it in hand for a few days and have put together some pages....it' not that I am unhappy with it, not in the least.  But it did feel much more feminine and I did feel like I had to stretch some to make a couple of "boy" pages. 


This is exactly why it is so very important for anyone looking to choose a kit club to try them out for a couple of months before settling into a commitment.

You do have to be realistic, you just are not going to fall in love each and every kit.  (But let's face it it, most of us have more than enough stuff in our stash to supplement a kit we aren't head over heels about and we will use up those goodies--just maybe not all together.)  Then there's another thing I've noticed among kit clubs and pages that are big hits on various blogs and such.  Most of us scrappin' fiends are women.  We are drawn to feminine details, feminine pages, feminine kits.  We just don't always keep in perspective that there are masculine types we need to give equal attention to.  So what's a scrapper to do?

Well there are several things we can do...first of all when you are choosing a kit club...you absolutely cannot choose it on what makes our eyes happy on first viewing.  Look at a kit...go back and look again..closely, at the papers and the embellishments.  Are there any bold stripes, checks, lined patterns (those are the easiest to apply to "boy" pages)?  Or, is everything floral?  And even if there are a lot of florals, is there anything in a bold hue?  A bold colored floral is easier to add to a boy pages than pastel.  I added the little fussy cut dark navy flowers to the page to bring more of the navy down into the page and I don't think it's too girly.  Kind of artsy...and the page is about making art, soooo. 

On this page, I wanted to use a lot of blue--Jackson is wearing blue--he is painting with blue--so blue papers were used at the top and bottom of the page and I used aqua and light blue on the embossed water-color cards.   I knew I wanted to use a grid design; the four-square.  Two squares would be the photos, one would be used for a title and one I would use for the embossed square once I had water-colored it.  


I used another embossed piece and cut the feathers out to use on the title square.  As for the title I knew I wanted two different fonts, so I used the white acrylic "favorite" and the golden puffy alphabet.


Since I used the provided golden color alphabet, I felt I needed to repeat that color elsewhere on the page, just to tie things together.    I did not want a ton of layers going on, since there would be enough happening with the water-color pieces, so only a bitty smidge of gold peeks out from under one photo,
 
 
and popping small strips of punched gold patterned paper under the blue strips of paper at the top and at the bottom of the page seemed to be just enough.   (This was just a scrap--not included in the kit.)
added a few navy blue paint splatters, my journaling and called it complete.

Voila!  A boy page from what I initially thought of as a feminine kit!


My advice is to really look at the overall kit offerings from a club...and once you commit to a club membership, do not be dismayed by one or two kits that seem too feminine, too masculine, too cute-sy, too anything.   There are fixes you can work up to make good use of your kit.  You just wouldn't want to do it with each and every one!

have a happy scrappy day all!
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment