Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Yes You Can! -- A Hip Kit Layout

Ha ha!  Sneaking a girl page in here amongst all the boy pages of late!   Here I used the last Hip Kit I received while researching various kit clubs.  I think this was the January kit. 

Both of my youngest grandchildren are taking swimming lessons this winter at their local "Y" and from the look of it, our Bella is loving it! 


I used one of the exclusive pattern papers as a base for a trimmed white cardstock panel.  The colors worked and the triangle pattern is not one of my favorites, but here peeking out as a border it highlight the color of the pool water and Bella's swimsuit and it worked out really well. 


I used several strips of various patterned papers that came in the kit, cut them in slightly varying lengths, but in the same width.  Then I just sliced away with a regular old pair of scissors.  While I think the fringe scissors are a fine tool, but I before buying a tool I always apply my own little rule.  How often am I going to actually use this tool?  Can I get the same effect with a tool I already have and can I do it relatively easily?  And last, how much does the tool cost?  In this case,I find I can slice up some fringe with just my scissors. 


OK, after slicing up my paper strips into fringe-y strips, I adhered them to the white cardstock panel and added a piece of washi tape at the top of each strip.  I also added two pieces of washi at the lower right of the page and at the very top upper left corner, just to repeat the colors.  The couple of puffy hearts are from my stash (an old Heidi Swapp sticker set).  


 The photo was layered onto several odd cuts of papers, scraps and journaling blocks I am not likely to use--but the colors were right.  I did not heavily layer the photo because I thought it would make it appear heavy and I really wanted a light feel, so that it would kind of float (swimming pun--LOL) on top of the fringe-y layers. 


The title nestled quite nicely among the paper strips and washi (used a puffy Pink Paislee alpha) and I anchored the photo using a big pink ampersand. 


Quick and easy, this would be a good sort of payout design to use up scraps and leftovers.  Truthfully, I had made up the page with a different photo in mind, but didn't really care for it... all I had to do to change over to this photo was swap out the washi tape(s) to coordinate a bit better with Bella's swimsuit---that's when the pink ampersand came into play too! 

Nice to play with a girl page!  But this could just as easily be a boy's page, just by using colors other than pink, I think (now I'm just doing silly rhyming, which indeed signals I am done with saying anything meaningful here!!!

have a great scrappy day all!
 Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment