Monday, November 7, 2016

Choosing a Kit Club -- Your Kit Club Should Reflect Your Style!

I finished up (or killed) my first Citrus Twist kit.  And I learned some things.

But first, my most recent Citrus Twist page... made mostly from scraps and embellishments!  See, I am learning to use embellishments to my advantage...still staying true to my own style (of NOT overwhelming my page or my photo with an explosion of embellishments).  More on this later.


Now, I still have a partial pack of Maggie Holmes Gather ephemera, as well as a partial pack of the wood veneer, sequins, chipboard, a couple of the cut-a-parts, and some of the enamel dots.  But only partial packs, less than half packs of each!  And I have one half of one of the patterned paper.  That's it.

As far as a page count; I have one more Citrus Twist page to post...so including that one I made seven pages from my first Citrus Twist kit.  I received six patterned papers and two solid color cardstock sheets, an alphabet, an exclusive chipboard pack, a full pack of ephemera and wood veneer embellishments, exclusive cut-a-parts, and enamel dots.  And I'm sure I am forgetting something, but wowsers, that's a lot of embellishments.  But not so much paper.  And I am very much a paper person.

Now, back to this page. 

Did a little color wash on the white cardstock (first the area was coated with gesso) using several colors and types of spray mist and lots of water (plus paper towels to do a little mopping up!).



In keeping with my mission to become more comfortable using multiple embellishments, I layered an ephemera piece and a wood veneer to create the title; tucked in printed tabs, as well as fussy cut some blank labels, layering those with little chipboard pieces.  

And I used several fussy cut strips for the top and bottom clusters.


I used loads of little strips and scraps to create layering for the photo, and tucked in some wadded up black thread to add both some texture and a bit more black.  


The page actually came together fairly quickly.  I just kept cutting strips and slices of paper to slide under the photo and tucking in tabs, I used loads of little strips and scraps to create layering for the photo and then tucking in  pieces of ephemera.

Once the title was in place on the right, I added a few watered down paint-y drips and what was left of the light aqua enamel dots (and stars). 

A fun page to make and it was very satisfying to see only partial packs of embellishments and only a half sheet of paper left.  Oh yeah, I have some of the Thickers left too, but that's almost always a given that you will have alphabet letters left over.


And what do you know?  I AM learning to make good use of all those delicious embellishments.  I learned (at least thus far) to treat them as I would pieces of paper... layer them up.. they are way less overpowering when they are a part of something else. 

Now we'll see what happens with kit #2!  It should be on its way to me, maybe later this week! 

have a scrappy, happy day!
Cheryl




No comments:

Post a Comment