My first endeavor with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint are/were these shelf supports. I am learning as I go so I tried several different techniques for distressing till I fell upon the one that suits me the best.
At first I tried the application of Vaseline in the spots where I thought distressing should occur. This does work, although I found it a bit messy and not as controlled as I would have liked. (Yes, ever the control freak...) Plus, sanding through the Vaseline just gobbled up the sandpaper.
Then I went with a soft sanding after the applying the wax and buffing using a fine, fine grit. Took lots of sanding and was a bit hard on this gal's RA ridden fingers. It worked with much more control though.
Finally tried sanding before I waxed, and found this to be the easiest and still allowed the control I tend to crave.
Of course at this point, the husband is asking, "Why am I putting stain and paint on, just to remove it?" Which might be a good question, unless of course you are living under a decorating rock and have never heard of or seen the HGTV show Fixer Upper. I mean, duh, we just gotta have some distressed farmhouse-y feelin' shelves (and end tables, and kitchen table and chairs, oh, yeah and maybe a buffet-turned media table....)
OK, I digress. Back to distressing 101. Truth be told, when I line all the shelf supports up together, it's hard to tell which one received what treatment, so how one goes about distressing is going to be purely a personal choice. Like most things, there is no one perfect way to get that lovely, worn, distressed look, there is only what works the best for you.
And now I have some shelves (from the dismantled shed in the back) to color wash, stain, and wax.... husband is shaking his head again, asking if I am sure I want this much rustic. Uh, yeah.