Thursday, October 27, 2016

Crashin' My Stash! -- A New Halloween Page Using Old Halloween Paper!!

As I've said before I have very little in my stash for holiday themed papers.  One pad of Crate paper Christmas themed and a miscellaneous cut sheets from various manufacturers, and some old Basic Grey.  For Halloween and 4th of July, I have even less.  It isn't that I don't scrapbook holidays, I don't make many Halloween, 4th of July or even Easter pages... just a couple.  I do make Christmas pages, but still not more than maybe 5 or 6 in any given season.

No, my biggest issue is that I don't care for cute-sy holiday paper with gnomes or witches or big-eyed deer.  I prefer to use things with more subtle patterns, in the colors that represent the season without being a-typical.  When I do find papers that I love for the holidays, I buy a few and stash them in sorters by holiday.  And this is the one time that I save almost every little scrap.


In this case, I've had this particular Halloween paper (by Creative Imaginations) for several years.  The overall design of the paper made it unsuitable for slicing it all apart.  And the blue color of the flying ghosts and bats always stymied my attempts to use the paper.  That pretty blue was just always  glaringly out of place with any photo I put next to the paper.  But ah-ha!  I finally have the perfect photo!  Those pajama pants my little granddaughter is wearing are the perfect blue!

After I layered a bit of orange and some leftover vellum pieces under the photo and laying it atop the paper, I could see that it still seemed to not fit.  Hmmmm, in order to make the layered photo seem more a part of this paper all I needed to do was to cut the top edge of that one blue bat with a craft knife and slide the lower right corner of the photo and layers under the cut edge. 



Once that was done, I trimmed the page down a bit and placed it on a purple piece of card stock.

Then it was just a matter of highlighting the pattern that was already there.  White penned lines around all four sides of the pages, a little white penwork to highlight the ghosts, bats and faces in the jack o' lanterns.


I used small orange/cream alphabet stickers to place my title right down the side of the photo and then found a bit more room to add a tab, a cut piece of ephemera that looked kind of like a piece of candy to me, and a small "so happy" circle sticker.


The only other items added were a few white ink splatters and a sprinkle of star sequins.  Journaling was done using my white pen and fit rather nicely following the curve of the jack o' lanterns.  

This makes me almost stupid happy to use up this sheet of paper that has sat in my stash for the last couple of years!

crash your stash,
sort out that holiday paper!

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment