Happy Monday! I don't know why, but Monday's have almost always been my favorite day of the week. It holds such promise for everything that I want to get done. This week that means another load of stuff to Goodwill, to unbury the kitchen table from all the stuff that seems to accumulate there, a job interview on Friday (for a job I'm not r-e-a-l-l-y sure I want, but not sure I have a choice at this point; it's not the job, but the logistics) and the arrival of my Stampin' Up order, not to mention the pages and cards that are started, but not yet finished!
I was having a difficult time finding the right tone of blue to scrapbook this page of Jacob with his Great Grandma Elaine (everything I looked at had an aqua cast to it and didn't look quite right), when I happened to spot my box full of handmade and specialty papers. These were all purchased years ago for collage and mixed media projects. But it was the blue paper that was calling out to me---here I am; I'm the right color blue---see me?!
After I loosely cut a hunk of it for use on the layout, I started layering papers under the photo and yes, I even took out the old sewing machine (not really working quite right, the poor old thing). But it did behave long enough to sew through a couple of the layers. I wanted the photo on straight, but the layers to be on a little wonky and crooked. Besides the blue handmade, I used a white waffle textured handmade and a couple of pieces of Basic Grey and My Mind's Eye for layering and two doilies. The alphabet strip sticker is off an older Creative Imagination's sheet. Flowers are Prima. I didn't want to use gems or buttons for flower centers on the medium size flowers you see, so I scrunched up smaller flowers and glued them to the centers. I like the dimension it gives them. Some light blue buttons also found their way onto the page
The challenges with this page were not over yet, though! The letter "L" in the woodgrain look Thickers set that I liked so much, didn't look like an "l" when I laid it down. It looked like a capital "C", so I chopped part of it off. And I stuck on a few of the little asterisks (they kind of look like flowers) to bring a bit of brown into the flower-y areas.
Apparently, challenge was the name of the game with this page---because although the blue Primas are perfect in color in reality---they photographed with this slight peachy tinge to them---I'm guessing it was my flash (it was pretty overcast the day I took the photo of the page) -- but by this point, I wasn't going to haul it back outside and re-photograph.
Whew, done. So there, she says, triumphantly sticking her tongue out at all those little challenges trying to get in her way!